We all suffer from winter skin from time to time. Being our largest and most susceptible organ, the skin is our most reliable marker for how hydrated we are, and how we are faring with the environmental elements that our modern day lives expose us to. Dehydration can eventually cause inflammation, redness and loss of collagen, which triggers premature aging.
Dryness can be instigated by many factors – hormones, weather, chemical exposure, diet and lifestyle just to name a few. No matter what the situation that created it, we have tried and tested solutions for combating dryness, improving moisture and restoring harmony to your skin. Choose one or as many as you like from our moisture hacks below and you’ll be radiating hydration and skin radiance all year round!
GET HYDRATED, STAY HYDRATED
It really is OLD news, but staying hydrated is all about increasing your water intake. Not just by the glassful, there are many ways to get creative. Try to drink 2-3L per day. Chose water EVERY time. Then herbal teas, soups broths and consummes (winter) and use water as a base when making your smoothies, iced teas and popsicles in the warmer months. Caffeine and salt are triggers for dehydration so try to minimise as much as possible when selecting your weapons of choice!
THEN RETAIN IT!
Replacing moisture is one thing, but retaining it is another. Factors such as air conditioning, internal fireplaces, chemicals and toxin exposure, diet and even genetics all contribute to moisture loss.
- Moisturisetwice a day. After a shower is perfect as the pores of the skin are more receptive to receiving moisture. Creating a natural and nourishing barrier against harsh weather and other elements will also assist in preventing moisture loss.
- Exfoliate twice a week to slough away dead skin cells. This can help reduce flare ups of common skin irritations. Make sure your exfoliant is both pure and gentle.
- Reduce long hot baths and showers. Hot water may feel soothing, but strips the skin of its natural oils and dries out the skin. Unless a filter is used, tap water is loaded with chlorine and other additives that tend to escalate the dehydration process. Instead, stick with warm shorter showers or soak in a warm bath for no longer than 20 mins. Add some ground oats, bicarb or even apple cider vinegar to reharmonise the skin. Purchasing tap and shower filters to reduce the chemicals in our water will also pay off in the long run.
- Eliminate toxins and harmful chemicals.Avoid soaps and alcohol based products that strip the natural oils from the skin. Harmful chemicals can not only instigate dryness, but have a disturbing effect on our hormones. Being our largest organ, the skin takes only 20 seconds to absorb what we put on it. It is vital to choose pure products that refrain from synthetic and plastic ingredients and harsh chemicals so that not only dry skin is avoided, our long term health and wellbeing is protected.
- Use a sunscreen and keep reapplying, even in winter. Enough said.
- Get an early night. At night while we sleep the skin launches into major repair mode. By reducing this vital restoration phase our skin cannot repair adequately, or produce the much needed protective factors to combat exposure and will result in lesser vitality and increased vulnerability of the skin.
- Eat seasonally. It seems simple, but nature resonates with our needs. Eating seasonally and locally means that our bodies receive the appropriate supportive nutrients. For example in the cooler months, oranges, avocados, berries and root vegetables provide good moisturising fats , protective Vitamin C and so on. Making sure foods are chemical free and organic also eliminates toxin exposure and allows the body to work less to absorb more.
- Get Oily! Including oils in our diets is crucial in maintaining the health of our skin. Try including a spoonful of coconut oil in your next smoothie or chai. Use cold pressed macadamia and olive oils in dressings and when stovetop cooking. DHA fish oil is the top of the pops when it comes to Omega 3’s and treating inflammation in the body. Using raw or lightly toasting nuts and seeds in baking, on cereals, savoury and sweet dishes is another way to increase the healthy oils in our diet to maintain our skin.
- Make friends with Antioxidants. Get creative. Cacao as your hot chocolate base or in bliss balls, drink white tea, sprinkle goji berries on your cereal and throw blueberries in your smoothies. Taking Vitamin C daily also increases antioxidant levels to fight free radial damage and helps repair cells and fight inflammation.
- Restore the ‘salt energy’ in your body. This is different to salt intake. The salt ‘energy’ is responsible for the water levels in your body, and its ability to absorb water more effectively. When the salt energy is diminished, our bodies can become dry – dry lips, hair, skin and even lady parts. Taking Naturium Muriaticum restores and rebalances this energy so that our bodies are not struggling internally to cope with absorption. Consider locating a reputable Homeopathic practitioner to find out more.
- Get Vibrational assistance. Of course, this is meant in a therapeutic way! Plant and botanical essences can restore harmony and moisture to our cells, sometimes with only one dose. We love the Australian botanical She Oak (Casuarina) for rehydrating the body and assisting in retaining vital moisture.
GET PAMPERING WITH INTUITIVE HEALING BALMS FROM GREEN FOOT MAMA
After sharing with you our top hacks to combat dry skin, it’s now time to let loose with some more fun ways to use our Organic Skin. This will ensure a holistic approach to restoring the harmony to your skin. Discovering new rituals to pamper yourself is another bonus, after all, self love is self care!
After a shower apply to the skin in gentle, circular motions. This balm lovingly supports stretching pregnancy skin, and can be used also as a dry scalp treatment by leaving overnight and shampooing as normal the next day.
Intensive Moisture Face Treatment
Rinse face and décolletage with warm water. Apply a small amount of Organic Skin in circular motions. Leave for 20 mins. Grab a damp cloth and run under warm-hot water. Wipe off and rinse with cool water. This treatment has a built in moisture so there is no need to apply any afterwards.
Soothing Topical Treatment
Can be used on all sensitive areas including the face, eyelids and even after waxing, tattooing or breastfeeding. Apply to mild irritations and dry patches for a soothing, healing treatment. Our gentle combination of organic calendula and chamomile brings a welcome relief to the skin.
Healthy and Pure Eye Make Up Remover
Use our Organic Skin to remove makeup, and to restore moisture to the delicate eye area.
Gorgeous Feet and Hand Treatment
Gently exfoliate hands and feet. Shower, then apply Organic Skin to both hands and feet prior to going to bed. Pop some pure cotton socks on to boost the luxury element of the treatment. Wake up with feet and hands that are deeply moisturised and super soft.
To get started on your well skin journey and to purchase our multi-tasking replenishing balm, pop over to our store.
If you are new to Green Foot Mama, don’t forget to subscribe to our soulful Movement to receive our newsletter, updates and subscriber only promotions.
With Warmth and Kindness,