Blueberry and Banana Buckwheat Pancakes
Happy Blueberry Pancake Day! Until I lived in the US I had no idea that Blueberry Pancake Day was even a thing.
Here is my favourite pancake recipe. It’s based on a friend’s family recipe and makes American doorstop style pancakes, not european crepe style ones.
I love this recipe because
- it is so easy to make
- the pancakes are packed full of nutrition
- everyone loves them
- they freeze well – just separate them with baking paper – and can be popped in the toaster for breakfast-in-a-hurry or simply buttered while still partly frozen and tucked into a school lunchbox
Blueberries, bananas and buckwheat are all excellent for your skin. Buckwheat is gluten free because it is actually a grass, not a wheat or a grain. It is a rich source of protein, iron and B vitamins – all essential for glowing health.
- 1 cup flour (I use half buckwheat/half stoneground)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/8 cup oil (I use coconut oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- 1 mashed banana
- 1/3 cup of blueberries, slightly mushed (frozen ones work fine)
Mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately in bowls and then slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry whisking into a smooth batter.
Fold in mashed banana and blueberries.
Warm a greased pan over medium heat. Use about 1/4 cup of batter per pancake. Flip when bubbles formed start to pop.